Install, Disable, and Delete Google Chrome Extension
Google Chrome is one of the most used web browsers in the world, and according to Stat Counter, Chrome has 63.34% browser market share worldwide. Don’t forget that Chrome was the first browser to introduce a dedicated web app store where users can download apps or extensions to enrich Google Chrome functionality. The introduction of extensions, along with Google’s security played a significant role in making Chrome one of the most popular browser within a short period.
Chrome Extensions are applications which enhance the usability and add functionality to Google Chrome. With the help of extensions, one can add more features to Google Chrome and extends its functionality. One can easily modify the browser with the help of extensions or add ons; there are millions of extensions which are available in the Google Chrome store to help users make Chrome more convenient.
There are several extensions which can help a user save a lot of time by simply installing it into the Google Chrome web browser. Extensions can keep track of your working time, block annoying ads, monitoring sales, remembers the password, budget your time to eliminate unnecessary distractions from specific websites, and many other essential things. Before we move forward and show you how to install, disable, and delete extensions in Chrome, let us explore what the benefits of Google Chrome extensions are.
Benefits of Google Chrome Extensions and why you should use it
A Google Chrome extension allows the user to make Chrome more efficient while surfing the World Wide Web. More importantly, the extensions will bring out more productivity and ensures that you surf the web securely, and you can personalize the browser in more meaningful ways. Here we are going to take a look at some of the benefits of using Google Chrome extensions.
- Blocking Ads: There are several extension which lets you block pop-ups and ads on websites. Not only AdBlocker extensions blocks ads and pop-ups it also allows you to choose websites which can show you advertisements and website which cannot show you advertisements.
- Secure and Trusted: Every app which you install from the Chrome Web Store is trusted and have been checked. Earlier apps which dealt with personal and sensitive data of a user were supposed to add policies, but now every extension needs to post policies regarding personal communication and other information regarding user-generated contents.
- Customization: With the help of the extension, you can customize your Google Chrome according to your need whether you need a cool theme, increase productivity, or helps you in reminding things which you were supposed to do.
- Requires Little Space: A Chrome app usually takes a very little space compared to native desktop apps because they’ve limited hardware functionality and other important facets of your computer.
- Work Offline: Have you lost internet connection? Do not worry; there are extensions which allow you to work offline, for example, Google Docs where you can access slides, sheets, and drives without having an internet connection.
There are many more reasons to install an extension to make your Google Chrome Browser more powerful. Below we’re going to show you how to install, disable, and delete a Google Chrome App/Extension.
How to Install Apps or Extensions in Google Chrome
To install an extension, the first thing one needs to do is to download it. Once an extension is downloaded, it will automatically be added to the Google Chrome Browser. Follow the steps below to download and install a Google Chrome app or extension.
Step 1- Using Chrome Web Store
- Open Google Chrome New Window. Ensure your Chrome is not in incognito mode.
- Click on the link to open Google Chrome Web Store App.
- From the left top corner search for an extension. Here is an example of Installing Google Drive App/Extension.
- Click on Add to Chrome and Click.
- Click on Add Extension on the pop up.
- Once installed you can check the extension on top right corner. Click on it to Sign in.
- Sign in with your Gmail Account and allow the access.
- Now you can use the Google Drive extension.
Step 2- Using Settings
- Open Google Chrome New Window. Ensure your Chrome is not in incognito mode.
- Click on 3 vertical dots on the top right corner of Chrome.
- Click on Settings. Alternatively you can click on this address chrome://settings/ to get directly into Chrome Settings.
- From the left panel click on Extensions. Click on this link chrome://extensions/ to get directly into Chrome Extensions page.
- Click on Extension on the top left.
- Click on Open Chrome Web Store.
- Follow the Steps shown in Step 1 – Point 3.
Step 3- Download CRX file and install it via Developer mode…
CRX is a file extension for a Google Chrome extension just like jpeg for images, doc for word, and mp4 for videos. A user can easily download a CRX file and later install it on Google Chrome browser with the help of Chrome Developer tools. Follow the step below to install a CRX extension:
How to Download CRX File: –
- Open Google Chrome Store. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
- Search for an extension and click on it to open the extension’s URL.
- Copy the URL and go to this website https://chrome-extension-downloader.com/
- Paste the URL link inside the extension ID box and click on download.
- Select keep to download the file.
How to Install CRX File manually with the help of Chrome Developer tools: –
- Open Google Chrome and Get inside the Chrome extension. chrome://extensions/
- Toggle right to enable the Developer mode settings on the top right hand side.
- Open the folder where you’ve downloaded the CRX file. Drag and Drop the CRX File into Chrome.
- Click on Add Extension to install the extension on Google Chrome.
How to Disable Extensions in Chrome
In case you don’t need an extension or you are encountering speed issues with Google Chrome due to too many extensions installed in it then you can try disabling them or delete them from the browser. Here’s the easiest way to disable an extension on Google Chrome.
- Open the Google Chrome Browser.
- Right click on the extension you want to disable.
- Click on Manage extensions.
- Slide the Toggle Effect left to disable the extension.
- To delete an extension on Chrome you need to right click on extension and click on Remove from Chrome.
How to Delete/Uninstall an App or Extension in Google Chrome
If you want to delete or uninstall an extension from the Google Chrome browser then you need to follow the steps below.
Step 1 – Uninstall
- Open Google Chrome on your computer.
- Click on Menu icon at the top right with three vertically aligned dots.
- Click on More tools and then on Extensions.
- Click on Remove on the extension you want to remove from your Google Chrome.
- To confirm Select Remove.
Step 2 – Delete
- Open Chrome.
- Right click on the extension you want to remove.
- Click Remove from Chrome.
- Select remove to confirm the removal.
Tip: Uninstall Chrome Apps – Download this extension to remove Chrome extension with just one click.
(BONUS) Top 5 Google Chrome Apps/Extensions
These are some of our favorite and one of the most popular extensions available on Google Chrome Store. Add these extensions into your Chrome and make it more powerful. We’ve picked up the extensions according to the most popular and highest good ratings category.
- AdBlock Plus: The #1 Adblock extension which enables safe internet browsing experience without seeing much ads, pop-ups, flashing banners, and more while you are on a site. With Adblock Plus, you can keep your online activities safe because it blocks tracking properties of websites that follow you.
- Momentum: Momentum helps you to set a goal for each day and reminds you to complete the target whenever you open a new tab on Google Chrome. It helps to boost productivity and eliminate unnecessary distractions.
- HTTPS Everywhere: HTTPS Everywhere is an extension which secures your information online when you fill up forms or surveys on a non-https site by switching them automatically in HTTPS version.
- Awesome Screenshot: This extension helps you to screenshot full Google Chrome page, and you can also record Chrome screens for the screencast. With almost 2 million downloads, it is one of the most recommended apps on Google Chrome.
- LastPass: LastPass is one of the most popular Chrome extensions with more than 10 million users worldwide which is quite a feat on its own. LastPass is a password management tool which gives you an option to securely save your passwords and access it from any computer or a mobile device all you need is a master password of LastPass to access all your data.
These are some of the best and most popular extensions which you can download and install for absolutely no cost. Some of the features may be paid, but if you are satisfied with the free version, then you do not need to upgrade.
Being one of the most popular browsers in the world, Google Chrome has unlimited free and paid extensions to cover each of your needs. Chrome extensions can improve productivity and minimize your time finding great results.
Here we’ve covered a lot of details about Google Chrome extensions and how to install, disable, and delete Google Chrome Extensions to help our users. If you want to add something or you need some help then surely leave a comment, and we’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible with the correct solutions.